Well, Dr. D. seems to think that it will only take one to two months to push that tooth down, so hopefully he’s right. He just reset the bracket on the tooth, but I could hardly even tell the difference - hopefully it will be enough that I’ll only have to wait the one month rather than two. I let Dr. G. know the estimate, and CiCi assured me that I wouldn’t have to come in again when Dr. D. decides my tooth is ready and that I can just set the surgery date over the phone. While this is certainly more convenient, I’m just a little nervous, since I thought it was a tooth on my left that needed to be pushed down, while Dr. D. and the letter from Dr. G. both said it was a tooth on the right side. We’ll see.

February 20, 2004. Uncategorized. No Comments.


It looks like I spoke too soon. I went to see Dr. G. on Friday, fully expecting to be able to finally set a surgery date. Instead, he hit me with the news that I have more problems with my mouth that I need to get straightened out first, which could take several more months. I have a tooth on the bottom left that’s sticking up so far that it will impede the other teeth from touching if I were to get the surgery now, so that needs to be orthodontically pushed back down beforehand. If it’s going to take more than 6 months to do that, however, Dr. G. said that it might be worth it just to file it down instead of waiting that long. Also, it looks like I will have to have my top jaw broken as well. Dr. G. is proposing that he break my jaw horizontally just below the nasal cavity in order to bring my top jaw down to close the gap mentioned in the previous update. Then the other major problem is that my left back teeth won’t touch if my lower jaw would be brought up now since my upper jaw is narrower than the lower jaw on that side. To counteract that gap, my upper jaw will need to be broken between the two back molars so that my jaw can be swung out a bit and secured. Dr. G.’s staff is checking to make sure that the top jaw will also be covered under my current surgery approval through CareFirst. Because of all these proposed breaks, Dr. G. is now recommending jaw wiring for the recovery because of its increased stability. He also cleared up that while I will most likely have to stay overnight in the hospital, I should only need to be out of work for a week, which is much better than the month I had envisioned. And in case I change my mind about having a chin augmentation (I doubt it, though), I was quoted $2,000.

For the first time yet, my bill at the oral surgeon’s is paid in full as well. After several calls on both my and CiCi’s part, we finally got CareFirst to pay up on the claim from 8/1/03, which they kept claiming I didn’t have a valid referral for (I did). The other outstanding claim from July was thankfully cleared up without too many problems last month, just requiring a resubmittal (where do these claims go? I had checked on that one much earlier on and they had it then).

February 16, 2004. Uncategorized. No Comments.


After a few more delays, it looks like we’re finally making some progress on getting my surgery done. I went in for my last orthondontistic appointment before surgery (again) this morning, and had a heavier wire and laces put on my top teeth to help close up the gaps that were starting to form. Dr. D. had brought my molds over for Dr. G. to see sometime in the past month, and from what I gathered, my bite is pretty much ready for surgery. However, as Dr. D. was showing me on my molds how my teeth would look after surgery, he then pointed out that he’d like the bottoms of my top teeth to come down to the top of the brackets on my bottom teeth. He claimed that that would help prevent against a relapse; in which case, that’s definitely something I’m interested in getting fixed. He said the gap there would be something that would be corrected during surgery, and that he was going back to see Dr. G. directly after my appointment. I now have an appointment on Friday with Dr. G., so hopefully we can finally set a surgery date and I can learn more about this other issue and if that will mean that he will have to break my top jaw as well.

February 11, 2004. Uncategorized. No Comments.


My appointment with Dr. G. didn’t go quite as expected. When his first words to me were, “What are you doing with the braces?” I realized that this wasn’t going to go that well. Apparently, Dr. D. hasn’t contacted Dr. G. at all, and Dr. G. is even doubting the necessity of me having braces before the surgery. He thought my bite was fine, and that I definitely didn’t need any extractions (something else Dr. D. was considering). I also asked him about Dr. D.’s recommendation that I go through speech therapy to correct my tongue thrust. Dr. G. assured me that my tongue thrust did not cause the gap between my teeth, and that my tongue will naturally find room in my mouth after the gap is closed, with the jaw wiring being especially helpful in retraining it. So I talked to him for a while about the surgery, and basically, it’s going to hinge on Dr. D. and his decision on if we can go ahead with the surgery or if we need to complete more of the orthodontics first. Dr. G. said that he would definitely call Dr. D. that week to hopefully clear up any confusion that’s been caused by their lack of coordination.

February 10, 2004. Uncategorized. No Comments.